Date(s) - 28/05/2019
2:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Dr Jane Hunter is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. She won the 2018 Vice Chancellor’s Learning and Teaching ‘A contribution to Social Impact in Learning’ Award for her project on Building innovative practices in teaching and learning for preservice high school English teachers. Join us in the Learner experience lab for a hands-on Masterclass on her teaching approach.
This session will cover:
- Key points from The Power of Screen Presenting workshop as an example of critical professional development for academics
- Preparing for public learning using blogs, showcases and experts, and
- Building a professional learning network prior to graduation from UTS.
This masterclass gives a snapshot of a postgraduate unit (ETM3) within the Master of Teaching (Secondary) program in the methods area of English in the School of Education.
- The 2017 UTS workshop I attended on the Power of Screen Presenting; this experience was influential because it taught me how to present a concise written narrative in 300 words and translate that into a 3 minute video format to hook an audience into key messages.
- The two assessment items in ETM3 that gave English preservice teachers an opportunity to rehearse, build and publicly demonstrate their technology skills within a curriculum domain.
- How the UTS Futures team supported me to create the Real Words not fake news blog (an online digital repository) in WordPress that would not only host content from ETM3 but also gave colleagues from within the School of Education a place to upload small chunks of digital content made by their preservice teachers.
- The importance of showcasing student work, in this example, the two short 2-day 3-minute film festivals held in 2017 and 2018.
- Preparation for the festival which involved preservice teachers engaging with English Teachers in the Field via Skype from our UTS classroom for a series of weekly 20 minute sessions.
Participants are invited to share examples from their own disciplines that align with ideas of agency building prior to graduation.
Please: BYO laptop to share examples of blogs and online repositories of student created content.
In case you missed it, check out the photos and video from the Learning and Teaching Awards night in our wrap-up post.
This site has been optimised for Google Chrome. Please use Google Chrome if you cannot see the booking form after logging in.
Photos and videos may be recorded at this event. Please advise the photographer if you do not wish to be photographed.
Bookings are closed for this event.