Date(s) - 14/06/2018
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
FYE Forum topic: Facilitating effective learning in culturally and linguistically diverse classes
- Do you teach classes or support students from diverse language and cultural backgrounds?
- Do you have trouble engaging all students in participating?
Then please come to our next First Year Experience (FYE) forum. Everyone is welcome.
– Hear from a panel of students (UPASS leaders) on how they learn best and how their peers learn best, and have opportunities to ask questions.
– Engage in a workshop activity (it’s a flipped activity, so there will be a little pre-reading)
Caroline Havery, an academic in the ALL team in IML, will lead us through activities designed to engage all students, including those who have English as an additional language. She has workshopped this collaborative activity with casual academics in Health with very positive results. So now we get to share and take away strategies that you can apply in your tutorials and other collaborative activities.
– Hear from Deborah Nixon as she tells us about her fabulous Infographics on guided practice for academic writing and reading, as well as other resources designed to support student academic literacy.
– A tasty afternoon tea will be served, please advise of dietary requirements.
RSVP is essential (name tags and catering).
Please register with Kathy Egea, FYE coordinator (Kathy.email@example.com).